Tuesday 15 October 2013

Chicken & Leek Stroganoff

Sorry for the lack of blog posts peeps.  You shall have to follow my Facebook page - I update it more regularly than this. My bad.  https://www.facebook.com/Wheatfreeandyum

So, today I called into the supermarket to grab some milk, ham, bananas and chicken breast as I was planning on making chicken schnitzels for dinner.  Walking through the fruit and veg department I saw some beautiful looking leeks on special -$1 each.  Instantaneously I thought of Chicken and Leek Stroganoff.  Yummo!  So that's what I came home to cook.  

I pay homage to Jamie Oliver who has this recipe in his Ministry of Food cookbook, however I wanted more veg in mine (to try to make up for the cream) so this is my version:

Ingredients - to serve 4

400g basmati rice (or rice of choice)
1 large leek
About a cup of chopped cauliflower
A handful of fresh green beans, chopped
A large handful or two of sliced mushrooms (I used button mushrooms - you can use your choice of mushrooms)
2 large chicken breasts, cut into small strips
About 30g butter
Olive oil
about 200ml of white wine
about 200ml of water
about 250ml of cream
salt & pepper
Small bunch of parsley - finely chopped, stalks and all
1 Lemon

Method-

Set your rice up to cook.  Don't ask me how - I'm hopeless at cooking rice in the traditional way so I always used my steamer to cook it.  Now I steam it in my Thermomix - 16 minutes and its perfect. :)

Cut your leek in half and wash well under running water - wash from the base to the leaves on an angle - with the leaves below the base so the dirt washes away.  Once it is all nice and clean, finely slice it.

Heat a little olive oil in a large frypan with the butter.  Add the leek, beans, cauliflower, salt & pepper, wine and water, stir then cover loosely with foil.  Let the mixture bubble away for about 5 minutes.




Remove the foil and add the chicken, mushrooms, cream and most of the parsley.  Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and let simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes.




Just before serving, stir in the juice from half of your lemon.

Serve over rice, with parsley scattered over the top and with a wedge of lemon.

Pure indulgent, deliciousness!


No comments:

Post a Comment