Monday 26 August 2013

Gluten free Rock Cakes

Rock Cakes - aren't they just the best?  I LOVE them and they bring back so many childhood memories.  I could eat them all day.  I want my lovely little boy to enjoy them too, so off I went experimenting to come up with wheat free, egg free rock cakes that taste just as good as the "real deal".  It worked.  The first batch I made, poor little Mr B didn't even get to try them as his father and I ate them all in one movie sitting!  Piglets, I know, but seriously, these are good!

I used apple sauce in this recipe in place of an egg.  I also used the Thermomix, cause really, why would I chop everything up and make apple sauce and a mess on the stove?

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees

Applesauce:
1 granny smith apple
20-30ml water

Peel and core apple, throw in the Thermomix and chop - Closed lid position - 2 - 3 turbo pulses
Add water
Set 100 degrees, speed slow, 8 minutes

Set aside

Rockcakes:
225g Gluten free self raising flour (I used my own blend) http://www.wheatfreeandyum.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/gluten-free-flour-mix.html
110g butter
85g white sugar
pre-made applesauce
100g raisins
25ml milk
extra sugar for sprinkling

Mix the flour, sugar and butter together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs (Thermomix speed 6, 10 seconds)
Add remaining ingredients and mix to combine (Thermomix closed lid, knead 30 seconds)

Spoon heaped teaspoons onto a lined baking tray and sprinkle with sugar (optional)

Bake in moderate oven 20-25 minutes - until just golden on top


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment