Monday 26 August 2013

Gluten free Lasagne - Thermomix

I am going to share my recipe for gluten free, egg free lasagne.  I used my Thermomix for this and this recipe is one where the Thermomix really shines.  Lasagne is no longer a time consuming, messy recipe.  I can whip one up and have it in the oven cooking within about 45 minutes, with 2 jugs to wash up and both are dishwasher safe.  Happy days!!  But, if you're not lucky enough to own a Thermomix, you can just cook the bolognese sauce and bechamel sauce in the traditional way on the stove.

Ok, first up, we need a heap of veg and herbs:

 For the Sauce:
Bunch of fresh herbs (I used basil, parsley & oregano)
Couple of mushrooms
1 Zucchini
1 carrot
1 large onion
Couple of cloves of garlic
1 Stick of celery
(You can add some chilli or capsicum too)
15g olive oil
500g beef mince (or pork or a mixture of the two)
Couple of tablespoons of tomato paste
Can of diced tomatoes
Can of Heinz Big Red Tomato Soup (optional, could substitute with passata)
Dash of red wine

Sauce Method
Roughly chop the fresh veg and throw the whole lot into the Thermomix together with the herbs and garlic

Blitz on Speed 7 for 5 seconds



Add olive oil and mince (I break the mince up a little with the spatula when I put it in).
Set at 100 degrees, speed slow, 10 minutes - leave the measuring cup off and sit the rice basket on top to avoid splattering

Go do something else for 10 mins - I brought in my washing :)

Add tinned tomatoes, canned soup (or passata), about 50mls of red wine & tomato paste
Set at 100 degrees, speed slow, 20 minutes - again, leave the measuring cup off and sit the rice basket on top.


Grease a suitable baking tray and then go do something else for 18 minutes - I made the kids' lunches for the following day :)

Transfer sauce mixture to a jug or bowl

Don't bother cleaning the Thermomix jug - just get right into making the bechamel sauce:

Bechamel Sauce
50g cornflour 
50g butter
500g milk
pinch of nutmeg
salt & pepper

Throw all the ingredients into the thermomix.


Mix it all together - 7 seconds, speed 5
Set for 90 degrees, speed 4, 8 minutes

Start layering your lasagne: I used San Remo Gluten Free Lasagne sheets and layered as follows:
Layer of sauce,
Layer of pasta sheets,
Layer of sauce
Sprinkle of grated cheese
Layer of pasta sheets
Layer of sauce  - and so on until you run out of sauce and/or sheets

By the time you have layered the lasagne, your bechamel sauce should be ready
Pour the bechamel sauce in an even layer over the top of your lasagne
Sprinkle some more cheese over the top
Pop the whole thing into the oven and bake for 45 minutes at about 190 degrees.  I usually place my lasagne dish on top of a lined biscuit tray to catch any drips (I'm all for trying to minimise mess and therefore cleanup)

Voila: Beautiful lasagne and I tell you what, if you tried some and could tell that it was wheat free, I'd be surprised!  It's very very good!


No comments:

Post a Comment